Janet Legrand KC (Hon)
Senior Lay Member of Court
University of Edinburgh
Also, Chair of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI)
Lucinda Parr - Registrar and University Secretary, University of Bristol
Chris Costigan - University Secretary/Chief Compliance Officer, Ravensbourne University
Michael Queen - Chair of Council, University of Surrey
Aidan Grills - Chief Executive, Leeds University Union
Miguel Gonzales-Valdes Tejero - Education Officer, University of Manchester Students' Union
Moss Garde - Registrar, St Patrick's Pontificial College, Maynooth
Adrienne Scullion - Pro Vice Chancellor / Lay Member of Court, Queen's University of Belfast / Edinburgh Napier University
Martin Cullen - Managing Director / Council Member, Rockstar Promotions / University of Leicester
Dr Adeela ahmed Shafi - Associate Professor of Education, University of Gloucestershire
Melody Stephen - General Secretary of the Student Union, University of Manchester Students' Union
Terms of Reference
The Governance Strategic Advisory Group Terms of Reference and the relevant person specification is provided below.
Advance HE is seeking new members for its Governance Strategic Advisory Group
Advance HE’s Strategic Advisory Groups (SAGs) actively engage Advance HE’s members in shaping the activity and future direction of our organisation. They build sector confidence and trust in Advance HE, whilst identifying opportunities to create future products and services that meet members’ needs.
Advance HE’s Strategic Advisory Groups:
- Review and shape Advance HE’s priorities within each relevant area;
- Identify current and emerging strategic issues, challenges and opportunities to inform the future work of Advance HE;
- Consider the implications of thematic areas of work for each relevant area; and
- Advise Advance HE on implementing an integrated approach, maximizing the synergies between the areas of equality, leadership, governance and education.
We are now seeking new members for the Governance Strategic Advisory Group
The Governance SAG is responsible for:
- Contributing to good governance of the sector;
- Providing strategic advice and insight regarding the current provision and future development of support for governance effectiveness by Advance HE, to meet the needs of members and stakeholders.
- Identifying current and emerging strategic governance issues, challenges and opportunities including for collaborative working, across sectors and in a global context;
- Providing scrutiny to Advance HE’s priority plans for governance, offering critical challenge and advice as required; and
- Ensuring connectivity to other areas of HE policy and practice such as leadership development and equality, diversity and inclusion.
Person specification for members:
- Successful track record of leading and / or managing in complex organisations (including student leadership)
- High level of understanding of HE in a variety of contexts
- Appreciation of the HE policy landscape in particular relation to the importance of governance
- Experience of Board and committee work
- Commitment to the values and principles of Advance HE
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to understand complex strategic issues, analyse and resolve difficult problems
- Sound independent judgement, common sense and diplomacy
We have a number of vacancies and are particularly keen to hear from people who can bring the following perspectives and experience: chairing an HE Board, College-based HE, current or recent student governors, small and/or specialist providers. With an increasing international membership and integrated approach, we would welcome applications from colleagues working at institutions outside the UK. We are also particularly keen to attract members with a diversity of experiences and perspectives, and welcome interest from a broad range of applicants.
- Members must be available to attend Strategic Advisory Group meetings twice per academic year via Zoom. The next Governance SAG meeting will take place online on 7 November 2023 from 14.00 to 16.00 and anyone appointed to the Group would need to be available to attend this meeting.
- Appointments to our Strategic Advisory Groups will be made for a two-year term in the first instance.
- All members will be reviewed at the end of each term to ensure fresh and diverse perspectives.
To apply, please submit a CV and covering letter of no more than two sides to email@example.com by Friday 29th September 2023.