Higher education (HE) is being challenged to become accessible, inclusive and representative of the society we live in. The questions of discrimination, harassment and victimisation are often thought of as individual issues, but institutions, particularly those that are public bodies, also have duties under the Equality Act 2010.
Our new e-Learning course aims to provide participants with the fundamental basis for understanding issues around equality, diversity and inclusion within higher education and will encourage behaviours that build inclusive cultures at individual and institutional levels.
The course is aimed at all staff within an institution and complements our other support in the area of tackling racism and race inequalities. This course is available to purchase on an institutional licence only.
The aim of the course is to:
- provide participants with the fundamental basis for understanding issues around equality, diversity and inclusion in HE
- raise awareness and understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion at the individual and institutional level
- encourage self-awareness of participants position in regard to equality, diversity and inclusion challenges, including reflecting on the impact of their own behaviours and how they interact with others.
Recommended as two online modules, the course covers:
- the concepts of equality, diversity and inclusion
- the basic definitions and provisions of the Equality Act 2010
- the benefits of increased diversity and inclusion within institutions
- the difference between individual and systemic oppression
- participant's role in building a diverse and inclusive culture
- challenging unacceptable behaviours including hate crime and cyberbullying.
The training is well-designed, thorough, and provides an appropriate level of challenge to staff. It has provoked discussion, reflection and changes in policy and behaviour amongst staff; it has also been extremely well-received.”
Alice Wilby, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Access, Participation and Student Experience), University College Birmingham
The eLearning course forms part of our all-encompassing support to tackle racism and race inequalities within institutions. Find out more about our related services: