What is the word count for applications?
The total word limits are:
- Bronze applications: 14,000 words
- Silver applications: 16,000 words.
We do not stipulate how the words should be spread over each section, it is for you to decide. At the end of every section, please state how many words you have used in that section.
What is included in the word count?
The word count includes all aspects of the application:
- letter of endorsement
- institutional description
- local context and all subsequent sections
- footnotes or other types of reference
As well as any standalone prose included in tables.
The word count excludes:
- Details of the members of your self-assessment team, presented as a table using a maximum of 30 words for each team member.
- Tables and graphs with data, providing they do not include standalone text or prose. Any text included within the table should only make sense within the context of the table or graph (for example, titles and data labels).
- The full action plan. Your actions should be embedded throughout the application form. The action plan provides a summary of all actions, complete with information on ownership and timings and should be provided as an annex.
- Qualitative quotes used throughout your application. Individual quotes must not exceed 50 words, and institutions should be discerning in the number of quotes used. It is not anticipated that institutions will use more than four or five quotes in relevant sections.
Can we apply for a word count extension?
Requests for additional word allowances to account for exceptional circumstances are considered on a case-by-case basis. Examples of where such awards may be made include where a restructure has recently taken place, or where the submitting institution has a unique or unusual structure, or is subject to particular constraints.
If granted, additional words should only be used to explain how the special circumstances have impacted or been taken into account with respect to Race Equality Charter activities and the progression of race equality. Applicants who wish to extend their word limit in this way should contact Advance HE’s Equality Charters team for approval at least two months in advance of the submission deadline. Where additional words are granted, the increased allowance will be at the discretion of Advance HE.
Are quotes included in the word count?
Qualitative quotes are excluded from the word count. Individual quotes must not exceed 50 words, and institutions should be discerning in the number of quotes used. It is not anticipated that institutions will use more than four or five quotes in relevant sections.