Advance HE’s Race Equality Charter (REC) aims to improve the representation, progression and success of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic staff and students within higher education. New members are always welcome.
Membership of Advance HE provides access for your institution to an Athena Swan award application, for both the institutional or departmental award.
Benefits of joining the Race Equality Charter
Advancing race equality within your institution has the potential to lead to a range of benefits for your institution. These include:
- committing to higher degree awarding rates, improved continuation rates and improved employment outcomes for minority ethnic students
- evidencing your institution’s commitment to equality and diversity, as required by research councils
- complementing your internationalisation agenda for an improved experience for your international students and staff
- increasing awareness of globalisation and diversity for all students, which is attractive to prospective employers
- promoting your plans to attract, utilise and retain talented individuals
- increasing the potential for innovation and creativity throughout your institution
- joining up other shared institutional agendas such as widening participation
- meeting your legal obligations of the Equality Act 2010
Members of Advance HE with access to the Race Equality Charter are able to:
- submit for institutional REC awards at Bronze and Silver level
- access resources and publications to prepare award submissions
- attend workshops on various topics to help prepare for an award
- access advice and support from Advance HE’s Equality Charters team
- join the Race Equality Charter Advance HE Connect group
Apply for the Race Equality Charter award
Your application route for the Race Equality Charter is dependent upon the award you are applying for. To make the process as simple as possible we have developed an information pack to guide you through your application.
To find out more about applying for Race Equality Charter award and to commence your application please request the Race Equality Charter award information pack.
If you are intending to submit an application in the upcoming February 2021 round, please let us know by completing our online form.