Our 2014 guidance Embedding equality in student services aims to help student services managers and staff to collect data effectively, recognise trends and patterns of student engagement and offers advice on how best to communicate the findings across your institution.
How to collect data effectively
- Standardise your monitoring questions and the point at which they are asked, across all elements of student service provision. It will allow your institution to identify trends more broadly across student services, as well as to compare different services.
- Your institution should have a central monitoring system that will allow student interactions with student services to be effectively monitored and linked to the central student record and protected characteristics.
Confidentiality of data and who has access to the full information will need to be carefully considered.
Understand patterns of engagement
- Benchmarking your institution’s data against the national picture as well as other institutions can be helpful in identifying issues for your institution to address.
- If your institution has a large campus spread across different sites it may be useful to look at if there are any equality issues in the take-up of different services by campus, focusing on type of course and protected group.
When communicating your equality data, consider:
- Routinely sharing the information with relevant staff, working groups and committees
- Reporting on who is using the service, when, and the types of enquires they have made
- Highlighting trends and patterns of engagement
- Tailoring the information to individual faculties or departments, relevant working groups and committees
Embedding equality in student services
Advance HE's guidance shares ideas that can assist student services managers and staff on how to collect, analyse and monitor equality data as well as communicate the findings across your institution
Equality in higher education: statistical report 2013
Equality in higher education: statistical report 2013 charts the equality challenges facing UK higher education.
Equality and diversity for academics
Fact sheets for academics explaining their role in promoting equality and diversity.
Effective equality surveys
Exploring the staff and student experience in higher education institutions.