The relatively recent inclusion of sexual orientation in UK equality
legislation means that less strategic consideration has been given to
LGB issues than other equality areas. The lack of evidence on the
numbers and experiences of LGB staff and students has also held back the
development of appropriate approaches to advancing LGB equality.
This guide for senior managers gives recommendations for developing a strategic approach to lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) equality for staff and students. It outlines steps to take to embed LGB equality in college-wide activities to realise an inclusive place of work and learning.
Areas covered include:
- Benefits of a strategic approach
- Elements of a strategic approach
- Mapping the community
- Creating the vision, identifying priorities and determining outcomes
- Demonstrating leadership and developing competence
- Measuring performance
- Community engagement
- Developing an inclusive culture