The purpose of this project (LGMF081) funded by Hefce's Leadership, Governance and Management Fund was to help English HEIs become more self-sufficient in:
- identifying their own organisational development needs
- managing and sustaining an effective response to those needs
- recognising and learning from good practice elsewhere.
The project defined Organisational Development as a set of explicit processes carefully planned and implemented to benefit the performance of the organisation as a whole.
Led by Professor José Chambers, then Chair of the national Organisational Development in Higher Education group, the project involved an online survey, face-to-face interviews in a cross-section of HEIs, liaison with relevant professional organisations and comparison with findings from related work. The project report (published in 2007) can be accessed via the links below:
- An online directory of OD activity, tools and approaches in participating institutions (ODHE Group Website)
The project team comprised:
- Professor José Chambers, The University of Winchester (Project Director)
- Dr Lesly Huxley, The University of Bristol / The Leadership Foundation
- Professor Bob Thackwray, The Leadership Foundation
- Professor Philip Sullivan, De Montfort University Leicester