This briefing summarises key issues in the Equality Act 2010 for higher education institutions, colleges and other ‘designated institutions’.
Revised in August 2012, this briefing gives up to date information on equality legislation, focusing specifically on how this impacts on the day to day running of HEIs and colleges.
Areas covered include:
- Aim of the Act
- Territorial coverage
- General implications
- Protected characteristics
- Prohibited conduct
- Admission and treatment of students
- Provision of services including goods and facilities
- Recreational or training facilities
- Public sector equality duty
- Positive action
- Specific issues relating to protected characteristics
- Moving forward