The Equality Act 2010 introduces new protection from discrimination for students during pregnancy and maternity, by extending the protection that exists for women in employment to higher education.
This guidance is the first of its kind in the sector, outlining how institutions can ensure students aren’t discriminated against on the grounds of pregnancy or maternity. It is intended to help institutions meet the requirements laid out in the Equality Act.
Areas covered by the guidance include:
- Legal protection for students during pregnancy and maternity
- Implications for policy and practice
- Maternity related absence, leave and pay
- Sources of financial support for students
- Impact of maternity-related absence on funding allocations
- Assessments and examinations
- Breastfeeding and facilities
- Student accommodation
- Students studying abroad and international students