The University of South Wales instituted an annual report on educational character following a review of Board effectiveness – as with all higher education corporations, the Board of Governors has a statutory responsibility for educational character. The report gives a high level summary of the opportunities that Board members have over the year to engage with academic governance including through:
- The Governor-Director forum that meets twice a year
- Scrutiny of critical performance indicators at Board meetings
- Dialogue with the Academic Board
- Reports to the Board from the Vice-Chancellor, faculties and the Student Union
- Linking individual lay governors with different departments or faculties
- The designation of one lay governor (presently a former Vice-Chancellor) as having specific responsibility for engaging with educational character.