For Chairs, sub-committee Chairs and aspiring Chairs.
The event is designed to support those who lead, or aspire to lead, a governing body. The Chair is responsible for the leadership of the governing body or sub-committee and ensuring it operates effectively and efficiently. Those who take on the responsibility play a central role in establishing the culture by which the governing body operates and the extent to which openness and debate at its meetings is encouraged.
Delivered with the support of the CUC, this event will provide an opportunity to discuss and examine the role of the Chair in leading the board and deliberate the importance of creating a boardroom culture that allows openness and debate. It will also focus on the leadership of the board as a key determinate of governing body effectiveness.
The event will explore:
• The role of the chair in leading the board.
• The culture of the boardroom and how to encourage openness and debate.
• How to encourage and manage the participation of all governors.
• The importance of balancing the agenda and ensuring governors receive adequate and timely information to inform their decision-making.
• Managing relationships with the head of institution, deputy/vice-chair, committee chairs, governors and clerk or secretary.
• Recruiting a head of institution and new governors.
• Appraising governors.
• Dealing with difficult issues.
• How you know if the governing body is effective.