Launch of the Advance HE Board Diversity Practice Project toolkit for members, in partnership with Perrett Laver
As part of the Advance HE Collaborative Development Fund, earlier this year The University of Gloucestershire was awarded funding to run our Board Diversity Practice Project, in collaboration with the international executive search firm Perrett Laver, aiming to collate, understand and share members’ practice to deliver on board diversity.
During this event, we will launch a new toolkit developed as an output of this project, for Advance HE members to aid those responsible for enhancing board diversity and inclusive governance practice. Additionally, our panel will consider the question of 'whose role is it to lead change in board diversity and inclusion?'.
We know that there is much more to do to advance diversity and inclusion in HE. Board diversity has long been on the agenda and we published our report into the Diversity of Governors in HE in 2020 which showed that:
- Just 41.9% of governing board members were women, compared to 54.6% of staff members overall
- Around nine in ten governors were white (89.2%), 5.3% were Asian and 2.6% were Black
- 5.4% HE governors were disabled
Yet we heard consistently from our members that many struggle to understand the most impactful approach to creating lasting change and the practice that would be meaningful for them. We hope this toolkit – the first of its kind in HE – helps our member institutions to explore new ways of approaching the agenda and improve their success. Advance HE, and Perrett Laver, are deeply committed to this work and will continue to innovate solutions and support change in the sector.
- Nishan Canagarajah, Vice-Chancellor, University of Leicester
- Janet Legrand, Chair, University of Edinburgh
- Hannah Quinn, Head of Governance, University of Bristol
- Elonka Soros, Council Member, University of Gloucestershire
- Matthew Andrews, University Secretary and Registrar, University of Gloucestershire (facilitator)
- Victoria Holbrook, Assistant Director, Governance, Advance HE (Chair)
This event is an Advance HE member benefit and is free to attend for colleagues from Advance HE member institutions with an interest in governance.