Taking those first steps into teaching can be challenging. That’s why Advance HE has designed a bespoke set of New to Teaching in HE training events, aimed at nurturing and developing professional learning skills right from the very beginning.
New to Teaching is a course aimed specifically at those who are new to teaching in HE, or have received no formal training in HE teaching.
New to Teaching focuses on four key areas, namely (i) designing and planning learning activities which benefit students (ii) reviewing contemporary approaches to learning and teaching (iii) identifying effective and efficient forms of assessment and feedback that aid students, and (iv) reflecting on how continuous professional development can enhance not only your teaching but also your students’ learning, benefiting your institution as a whole in the process.
The course is divided into four sessions, with two hours of study taking place each week over four weeks (the resources being available to participants for an additional three months afterwards). The online format provides added flexibility, acknowledging the time pressures faced by academics.
New to Teaching is designed to enhance your understanding and knowledge of critical areas of practice; knowledge which will, in turn, benefit your students and complement the overall reputation of your academic institution.
The programme aims to:
- To provide an introduction to developing effective learning experiences online
- To foster creative approaches to the use of digital platforms and tools within the higher education context
- To provide experience of using digital tools from the learner perspective
- To equip individuals with the skills to plan the use of digital technologies and tools in ways that enhance the learning experience
- To support individuals in the evaluation of their work and in critically reflective practice
- To facilitate the dissemination of experience and good practice across institutions.