The Strategic Leadership Programme aims to build flexible and resilient leaders, capable of delivering large-scale change, by providing opportunities to share insights, work with a support network of peers and reflect on leadership styles and frameworks for life beyond the programme. Applications close on 10 May 2019. Find out more
Who should apply
You will be an experienced leader who is facing significant cross-institutional responsibilities for the first time. You may have been a head of school, service director or director of research institutes. You could be a new dean, or have developed other significant academic activity and presence within your institutions. You are will be looking to take the next step to a position on the senior leadership team within the next five years.
Aims and Objectives
The Strategic Leadership Programme will give you the tools and techniques to be a strategic and resilient leader who is able to work effectively in a complex environment.
Objectives for the individual participant:
- Feel more confident, flexible and resilient as a leader.
- Become capable of navigating the complex and often novel challenges facing the sector.
- Gain understanding of strategic thinking and decision making and know when to ask the right questions to more senior colleagues.
- Leave with an effective leadership response to uncertain political and financial times in the sector.
- Improve your knowledge of governance and strategic finance.
- A framework and support for progression to LF Fellowship status.
Objectives for the sponsoring institution:
- A more developed and capable leader with a broadened perspective.
- Practical progress on a strategic project of institutional significance.
- An evidence base for decisions relating to succession planning.
The key features of the programme include:
- Practical and experiential learning through case studies and case plays;
- Networking opportunities;
- Expert speakers from the sector;
- An action learning set for attendees to reflect on their personal leadership challenges; and
- Access to our tailored HE 360-degree transformational leadership assessment tool.
The Strategic Leadership Programme will give you the practical tools and insight required to lead successfully within a senior team, working collaboratively across and outside the organisation. You will gain understanding of strategic thinking and decision-making and improve your knowledge of governance and strategic finance.
Two residential two-day modules set of the course of two months.
Senior leaders recently appointed with a cross-organisation remit or portfolio - from both academia and professional services.