The challenges facing higher education both in the UK and internationally continue to grow in their scale and complexity; this emphasises the need for institutions to have confident, forward thinking and effective executive leadership with the agility and innovation to respond.
Executive leaders also need space and opportunity to think differently and build effective networks, skills and insights to sustain their roles and contribution for both their personal benefit and be a fully contributing member of the Executive team.
How is the programme delivered?
TMP HE is an open programme delivered in a cohort structure. There is a strong emphasis on ensuring that each cohort is a diverse peer group, enhancing the learning experience. The programme is split over the three residential weeks with an impact day between each.
TMP HE's truly agile delivery method means that the programme content and delivery is shaped by its participants whilst ensuring delivery of the defined curriculum. Providing timely value to the participants, this is achieved through continuous review and feedback.
In response to the rapidly changing global situation, we will adopt a hybrid model for TMP HE 47 of both virtual and in person delivery, with the intention of flexing the mode dependent on the environment and circumstances at the time. From our present position, given all the external factors we are all navigating we anticipate both the orientation day and week one will most likely be held virtually but we will keep this under review over the coming months.
A full list of dates for modules and coaching sessions is available in our application pack
The core content of the programme remains the same, and will include:
+ Orientation Day,
+ Two, four-day residential weeks held at two different locations in the UK
+ A four-day residential week held outside of the UK
+ Two, one-day impact group days
+ 360 degree feedback
+ A team diagnostic
Who is TMP HE for
Applications for TMP HE are welcome from the following:
- Executive team members in HE providers
- Those who are preparing to become Vice-Chancellors
- Individuals who are progressing to the executive team
- Those in roles with significant cross-institution responsibility at a strategic level
Diversity is a key part of the programme's approach and so we are keen to accept applications from a range of different institutions and demographic. International applicants are also welcomed.
Developing senior leaders in higher education
Top Management Programme for Higher Education is designed to equip senior leaders, with the necessary skills to extend your thinking and practice, and to face the challenges of HE leadership
- The core curriculum of the programme is based on what makes an effective executive leader in HE
- A truly agile learning experience drawn from exposure to new ideas and new ways of delivering innovation and change
- Programme participants are a "true" peer group, currently working as part of or about to become part of an executive or in a role with significant cross-institution responsibility
- The programme supports innovation skill development in HE
- Learning and development is placed within a real time context, is immersive and the participants inform the learning throughout, in a responsive and co-created approach
- The international visit takes participants “outside” their immediate perspective on the sector, an opportunity to reflect on approaches
- As a cohort of influential figures TMP HE alumni and guest contributors begin to collaborate within the “cohort community”, influencing and shaping debate in the sector
The value of TMP went well beyond the programme content. I found the positive and constructive atmosphere particularly beneficial as it encouraged open and honest discussions, where even a negative story can be positive because it’s used constructively as a learning opportunity. I thoroughly recommend TMP for future strategic leaders.”
Professor Rudolf Allemann
Pro Vice-Chancellor and Head of College of Physical Sciences and Engineering
What are the programme outcomes?
Successful completion of TMP HE benefits both the participant and their institution.
The institution benefits from the building of confident leaders who are nuanced and effective, to achieve improved performance, gain the tools to shape institutional strategy, position or culture and develop a reflective/strategic approach to supporting and challenging others to lead.
Participants develop the skills and experience to bring about change through engaging people, work through collaboration and diversity and gain experience by applying their learning through a personal leadership project which benefits the sponsoring institution as it develops the individual leader.
Participants will join the TMP HE alumni (currently over 900 members) and continue to benefit from a vibrant support network, informing and steering debate in the sector, developing collective leadership.