Effective and engaging teaching in an online or blended environment requires an understanding of effective pedagogies for online and hybrid teaching. For those who are not experienced in online teaching or those who are new to teaching generally, this can feel challenging.
Enhance your teaching practices
Advance HE has designed New to Teaching to nurture and develop contemporary professional learning, with a particular focus on the basics of effective teaching practice, incorporating the latest innovations in online pedagogies and digital delivery within fully virtual or hybrid teaching spaces.
The programme models approaches and activities which can be taken into HE teaching, positioning the participant as a learner in online spaces and inviting them to reflect critically on the experiences in order to enhance their own teaching practices.
Who is New to Teaching for?
New to Teaching is a course aimed specifically at those who are new to teaching in HE, new to delivering courses via online platforms, or have received no formal training in HE teaching.
New to Teaching focuses on four critical areas of practice for effectively engaging students, with the thread of online and digital learning running throughout the programme:
- How do I design and plan active learning?
- What tools can I use to engage students in and beyond live sessions?
- What assessment and feedback tools can I use to promote meaningful learning?
- How can I make teaching inclusive of all students?
How is the programme delivered?
This is an online programme with synchronous and asynchronous activities which consist of a mixture of whole cohort/ collaborative/individual activities. The online format provides added flexibility, acknowledging the time pressures faced by teaching staff.
The programme is divided into six learning blocks over six weeks, requiring roughly 3-4 hours of study each week; a 2-hour live interactive session and approximately 1-2 hours of directed study. Each live session will be recorded and the resources will be made available to participants for an additional month afterward the formal end of the course on Advance HE’s virtual learning environment.
(the order of specific weeks are subject to change)
What are the programme outcomes?
After attending the webinars and completing formative tasks, participants will be able to:
- Create effective learning plans for study in an online and hybrid environment.
- Select and use appropriate formative and summative assessment and feedback tools that support learning in an online environment;
- Use digital tools creatively and ethically to enhance learning opportunities for all students;
- Work effectively and collaboratively online;
- Reflect on the learning experience in order to enhance future teaching practices.