In the face of the continuing effects of the global pandemic, many university teaching staff need to adjust to a socially distanced campuses, teaching in both hybrid and online spaces.
Effective and engaging teaching in socially distanced campus and an online or blended environment requires an understanding of effective pedagogies for online and hybrid teaching. Even for those who are experienced teachers this can feel challenging.
Enhance your teaching practices
Advance HE has designed Virtual Teaching, aimed at nurturing and developing contemporary professional learning, with a particular focus on online pedagogies and digital delivery within fully virtual or hybrid teaching spaces. The programme models approaches and activities which can be taken into HE teaching, positioning the participant as a learner in online spaces and inviting them to reflect critically on the experiences in order to enhance their own teaching practices.
Who is Virtual Teaching for?
Virtual Teaching is a course aimed specifically at those who have experience teaching in HE but are new to delivering courses via online platforms.
Virtual Teaching focuses on four critical areas of practice for effectively engaging students, with the thread of online and digital learning running throughout the programme:
- How do I design and plan active online learning?
- What digital tools can I use to engage students in and beyond live sessions?
- What digital assessment and feedback tools can I use to promote meaningful learning?
- How can I make teaching inclusive of all students?
How is the programme delivered?
This is an online programme with synchronous and asynchronous activities which consist of a mixture of whole cohort/ collaborative/individual activities. The online format provides added flexibility, acknowledging the time pressures faced by academics.
The programme is divided into two learning blocks, requiring roughly 3-4 hours of study each week, over two weeks; a two-hour live interactive session and approximately 1-2 hours of directed study. Each live session will be recorded and the resources will be made available to participants for an additional month afterward the formal end of the course on Advance HE’s virtual learning environment. The online format provides added flexibility, acknowledging the time pressures faced by teaching staff.
Effective approaches to online or virtual teaching
The Tech Clinic, a showcase of tools and Reflective Practice and Action Planning
What are the programme outcomes?
After attending the webinars and completing formative tasks, participants will be able to:
- Create effective learning plans for study in an online and hybrid environment.
- Select and use appropriate formative and summative assessment and feedback tools that support learning in an online environment;
- Use digital tools creatively and ethically to enhance learning opportunities for all students;
- Work effectively and collaboratively online;
- Reflect on the learning experience in order to enhance future teaching practices.
To download our information sheet about Virtual Teaching or if you have any questions about the programme please complete the form below. Our current cohort of Virtual Teaching is fully booked, download our information form to find out more and we will get in touch as soon as new dates become available.