The Equality Act 2010 replaces previous anti-discrimination law and introduces new methods which have direct impact for higher education institutions.
The public sector equality duty came into force on 5 April 2011, replacing the previous equality duties for race, disability and gender. In Wales, this public sector equality duty is underpinned by specific duties. This briefing outlines the implications for higher education institutions in Wales and gives guidance on meeting these legal duties.
Areas covered include:
- What the equality duty is
- Creating an evidence base
- Engagement: involving and consulting people
- Assessing the impact of policies
- Pay difference objectives
- Equality objectives
- Strategic equality plan
- Reporting on compliance with the duty
- Embedding and mainstreaming equality
- Further resources
- This briefing is also available in Welsh-language versions.