The Teaching Skills Masterclass offers a flexible and evidence-based solution for the development of university-level teachers. It is aimed at exposing staff to new approaches in teaching and learning in higher education.
The Masterclass is based on Advance HE’s extensive experience of delivering teacher development programmes across the world, including in UK, Asia, Africa, Australasia and wider-Europe. The Masterclass models interactive and collaborative learning activities for participants and is underpinned by research into evidence-informed approaches to teaching and learning.
To support institutions in adapting to the 'new normal' created by the Covid-19 crisis, we have developed the programme to help staff to engage in online teaching methods, as well as offering the option to explore teaching in HE more generally.
Please note that this programme is only available for institutional purchase and is not run as an open programme for individuals.
Want to find out more?
If you want to find out more complete the form below. We will send you an information pack with further details of how the programme could benefit your staff.
Who is it for?
This Masterclass is aimed at staff who are open to new ideas and approaches that can be implemented in their own teaching. Typical participants include:
- staff who are new to teaching in higher education
- experienced academic staff seeking new approaches to enhance their teaching practice.
Online vs Face-to-Face
We offer two adaptable versions of this programme, online or face-to-face, depending on the preferred delivery mode and teaching context.
Aimed at introducing staff to new and resilient approaches in teaching and learning in higher education (HE) and building confidence in enabling learning in online and hybrid contexts.
Aimed at improving participant understanding and knowledge of critical areas of teaching practice in face-to-face, online or blended settings.
Below you will find the outline of the masterclasses. Each masterclass can be tailored to an institutions context and objectives.
The programme develops participants’ planning and teaching skills for delivering flexibly (online or in hybrid contexts) in the following key areas:
- Introducing the design and planning of effective learning activities for hybrid and online delivery
- Critically evaluating and implementing evidence informed approaches to teaching and learning online
- Monitoring, assessing and feeding back effectively on learning in an online environment
- Reflecting on how continuing professional development can enhance teaching and student learning in times of change and uncertainty.
The programme is delivered online. Each day includes a 2.5 - 3-hour live webinar, with wraparound synchronous and asynchronous tasks equivalent to 2.5 hours’ self-directed study. Participants will be expected to commit around 5 hours for each day of the programme
The Masterclass content can be tailored to your institutional needs and take a general or thematic focus. Examples of thematic Masterclasses include: assessment and feedback; embedding employability and entrepreneurship; subject of field-specific e.g. STEM, Creative Arts or Health-related; and curriculum development.
Each Masterclass is typically delivered across four consecutive days, but is adaptable to the needs and priorities of each institution so can be shorter or longer, as desired.
A typical 4-day Teaching Skills Masterclass would cover the following topics:
- approaches to teaching and learning in higher education
- designing and planning for learning
- managing learning experience
- creating positive learning environments
- effective assessment and feedback
- teaching skills: presentation skills, organisation of effective group work
- embedding digital tools for learning and feedback.
As a result of committed participants attending the course, an institution will have:
- a group of engaged staff who can implement interactive teaching techniques in their professional practice
- the foundations of a community of practice to enhance teaching and learning, with the potential to build further internal and external networks
- quantitative and qualitative evidence of impact from the investment made in the Masterclass.
Advance HE delivers Teaching Skills Masterclass to academics from across Vietnam
Advance HE has delivered a Teaching Skills Masterclass (TSMC) programme to academics in Vietnam, generously funded by the World Bank. The programme, hosted by the Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) at Vietnamese-German University (VGU), brought together 30 academics from institutions across Vietnam to develop and enhance their online teaching practices.
"The participants have all returned to their respective universities, inspired to start using the techniques and tools so competently demonstrated by the Advance HE team, and to share their new-found knowledge and skills with their colleagues.”
Dr Mark Spittle, Director of CETL, Vietnamese-German University