In the context of HE, Advance HE regards partnership as a relationship in which all involved are actively engaged in and stand to gain from the process of learning and working together. It is distinct from listening to, or consulting with, students. A partnership between students and staff, among students, or between Higher Education Provider (HEPs) and students’ unions is student engagement, but not all student engagement is partnership; hence the approach here is engagement through partnership.
Partnership is a process for developing engaged student learning and effective learning and teaching enhancement. At its heart, partnership is about applying well-evidenced and effective approaches to learning, teaching and assessment with a commitment to open, constructive and continuous dialogue. Partnership involves treating all partners as intelligent and capable members of the academic community.
Advance HE framework for student engagement through partnership
A shared point of reference for the sector
Our framework for student engagement through partnership in HE is an integral part of the Student Success Student Success Framework Series. Developed with the sector for the sector, the series covers key thematic priorities that impact upon the quality of teaching and learning in HE. Student Success frameworks provide a shared point of reference and common language to shape and review policy, process and practice in order to enhance student success.
Has your school, faculty or institution identified this as a key strategic priority?
Advance HE, through it's four step process: conceptualising; planning and preparation; implementation, delivery and monitoring, and; completion and closure; can help you to:
- Identify areas of strength and areas for improvement
- Deliver solutions-based change aimed at tackling your issues
- Review the success of any initiatives against KPIs and global frameworks
Key Advance HE research
- Engagement through partnership: students as partners in learning and teaching in higher education
- Engaged student learning: high-impact strategies to enhance student achievement
- Students as researchers: Supporting undergraduate research in the disciplines in higher education
- Pedagogies of partnership: What works
- The impact of pedagogies of partnership on the student learning experience in UK higher education
- Purposeful partnerships and practices
- Ask, answer, assess
- Mapping student-led peer learning in the UK
- Developing undergraduate research and inquiry
- Engagement for enhancement
- Using PRES to enhance the experience of postgraduate researchers
Guidance and teaching resources
- Appreciate: Cards to support appreciative partnership learning
- A guide to ethics and student engagement through partnership
- Partnership Learning Communities
- Students as partners in the curriculum
- Student and Staff Partnership Awards
- HEA & NUS Students' Union and Institution Partnership Awards
- Student engagement: paradigm change or political expediency?