A key priority for Advance HE is to take a series of actions working with the sector to tackle the well documented under representation of BME leaders in UK higher education institutions; The Diversifying Leadership Programme is an important element of that work and since the programme launched in 2015 with investment from the UK HE funding bodies, we have seen the programme grow from strength to strength.
Tackling the under representation of BME leaders in UK higher education institutions
Diversifying Leadership will explore themes of power and influence, demystifing leadership, cultural identity and cultural capital, increasing your visibility and authentic leadership. It will feature leadership stories from high-profile HE leaders and includes the development of strategies for working effectively with sponsors and mentors.
The programme will:
- Introduce you to leadership concepts and enable you to explore various elements of leadership and your role as a leader.
- Introduce you to the concept of ‘authentic leadership’ and help you to identify your leadership style
- Enable you to explore motivation and influences
- Provide a safe space in which to discuss issues relating to your experiences of working in higher education.
Diversifying Leadership 9
Starts: 4 April 2019
Final session: 27 June 2019
"The benefit of Diversifying Leadership is that it uses an 'asset model' approach to combine four key elements: preparation through a series of challenging development activities; collaboration through action learning with peers; reflection by providing space between modules to think and act strategically; opportunity through access to a sponsor."
Jannett Morgan, Programme Director, Diversifying Leadership
Who is Diversifying Leadership for?
The Diversifying Leadership programme is designed to support early-career academics and professional services staff from black and minority ethnic backgrounds who are about to take their first steps into a leadership role.
How is the programme delivered
The programme comprises three one-day face-to-face workshops, a facilitated action learning set and access to online resources as part of the programme.
- Module one: Leadership, 'BAME leadership' and lessons from the labyrinth
- Module two: Leadership, power and influence: changing the game;
- Action learning set: Speaking actions into existence; and
- Module three: Leadership tomorrow: vision, voice and visibility
What are the programme outcomes
Successful completion of Diversifying Leadership benefits the participant and their institution.
Participants will have explored concepts such as 'authentic leadership', allowing them to identify their own leadership style and role as a leader. Through exploring various elements of leadership, they will also come to understand their own motivation and influences.
Participants are provided a safe space in which to discuss issues relating to their experiences of working in HE.
The institution benefits from the opportunity for staff to share the knowledge and expertise gained through attending with others at your institution, spreading good practice and methods within faculties