Belonging is a key part of the student experience, contributing to student retention, attainment and wellbeing. Belonging is a multi-faceted concept, encompassing inclusion and diversity, community, academic confidence and feeling that you matter and are valued. It is often at the level of the course or programme that students’ sense of belonging is most localised, and in which a holistic approach to belonging can be best integrated and embedded.
Everyone involved in delivering and supporting teaching and learning has a role to play, from programme and module leaders to lecturers, seminar or lab teaching assistants, personal tutors, professional and student services colleagues and peer mentors.
This collaborative project offers an opportunity for teams at school or programme levels to develop an understanding of what belonging might mean in their context and new approaches to proactively foster belonging from induction onwards.
- The project will begin in November 2022.
- The project duration is six months.
- There are a maximum of 10 places available.
- The cost to join the project is £6,000 (plus VAT) per institution.
- The deadline to join the project is 7 October 2022.
- Bespoke provision to help you identify and address challenges around fostering a sense of student belonging at programme level in a School or Faculty, ensuring it meets the needs and ethos of your specific institution and discipline as well as your student cohort
- Drawing on, adapting and creating models, frameworks or toolkits for strategies and initiatives to develop student belonging
- Access to leading experts in learning and teaching, student success and EDI to shape and inform your work in this area
- Network and share practice with colleagues from other institutions who are also developing innovative practices around student belonging in their programmes.