Belonging is a key part of the student experience, contributing to student retention, attainment and wellbeing. Belonging is a multi-faceted concept, encompassing inclusion and diversity, community, academic confidence and feeling that you matter and are valued. It is often at the level of the course or programme that students’ sense of belonging is most localised, and in which a holistic approach to belonging can be best integrated and embedded.
Everyone involved in delivering and supporting teaching and learning has a role to play, from programme and module leaders to lecturers, seminar or lab teaching assistants, personal tutors, professional and student services colleagues and peer mentors.
This collaborative project offers an opportunity for teams at school or programme levels to start to define the concepts of ‘belonging’ and ‘building’ both personally, collaboratively and with a local identity. This will be an important element of the project since being able to define belonging will enable teams to begin to build this in their contexts and approaches from induction forward, using learning and shared practices from the project to inform and support.
Register your interest
If you would like to register your interest in this cohort, please complete the form by clicking below and we will send you an information sheet with further details.
- The deadline to join the project is 26 May 2023
- There are a maximum of 10 places available
- The cost to join the project is £6,000 (plus VAT) per institution
- The surveys and onboarding email will be sent and complete in June 2023
- The 1-1 consultation will take place in September 2023 - October 2023
- The opening in-person launch event will take place 31 October 2023 (location TBC)
- Individual workshops will take place between November 2023 through to February 2024 at the location of the institution
- The closing in-person celebration event will take place 19 March 2024 (location TBC)
- Bespoke provision to help you identify and address challenges around fostering a sense of student belonging at programme level in a School or Faculty, ensuring it meets the needs and ethos of your specific institution and discipline as well as your student cohort
- Drawing on, adapting and creating models, frameworks or toolkits for strategies and initiatives to develop student belonging
- Access to leading experts in learning and teaching, student success and EDI to shape and inform your work in this area
- Network and share practice with colleagues from other institutions who are also developing innovative practices around student belonging in their programmes.