Membership of Advance HE provides access for your institution to the Athena Swan award scheme, with targeted frameworks and support for institutions and departments, small and specialist institutions and research institutes.
There are over 160 Athena Swan members around the world, holding over 800 awards between them.
Benefits of an Athena Swan award
Being part of an internationally-recognised gender equality initiative can help your institution meet its equality legislation requirements, as well as the requirements and expectations of some funders and research councils
The Athena Swan package includes access to the Athena Swan self-assessment framework and award application process plus a range of support to help institutions both enhance their practice and achieve recognition for their commitment in this area.
Athena Swan has a proven impact as a catalyst for change, leading to organisational and cultural transformation that makes a real difference and enables staff to achieve their maximum potential. You can apply for institutional and departmental Athena Swan awards recognising gender equality efforts.
The Athena Swan award:
- helps institutions achieve their gender equality objectives
- uses a targeted self-assessment framework to support applicants identify areas for positive action as well as recognise and share good practice
- can help your institution meet its equality legislation requirements, as well as the requirements and expectations of some funders and research councils
- promotes inclusive working practices and can increase your retention of valued academics and professional and support staff, demonstrating your institution’s commitment to an equitable working environment.
Apply for an Athena Swan award
Your application route for Athena Swan is dependent upon the award level you are applying for, and whether you are an institution, department, small or specialist institution, research institute or located outside of the UK. To make the process as simple as possible we have developed information packs to guide you through your application.
To find out more about applying for Athena Swan and to commence your application please request the Athena Swan award information pack below if you are:
- considering applying for an institutional or departmental award
- considering applying for Bronze, Silver or Gold awards
- a small or specialist higher education institution
- a JUNO applicant.
If you have let us know of your intention to submit in the November 2020 round, you can find more information on our dedicated "how to submit" page.
Renew your Athena Swan award
Athena Swan award holders are now able to reapply for their award using a process which focuses on progress made against their initial action plans and their future priorities.
Alternative routes to the Athena Swan Charter award
Athena SWAN Ireland
International Charter partners
Athena Swan resources and FAQs
To make it easier for you to find everything you need, we have moved our guidance, templates and good practice examples to support your Athena Swan Charter award submission into an easily downloadable information pack. Just fill in the form below and we will send you an email with everything you'll need.
We also have an extensive FAQs section which contains answers to commonly raised questions about all aspects of Athena Swan, from submitting your application to results.