Advance HE views embedding employability as providing the opportunities to develop knowledge, skills, experiences, behaviours, attributes, achievements and attitudes to enable graduates to make successful transitions and contributions, benefitting them, the economy and their communities. Employability is relevant to all students, and at all levels of study so includes both undergraduate and postgraduate provision.
Framework for embedding employability
A shared point of reference for the sector
Our framework for embedding employability in HE is an integral part of the Advance HE frameWORKS series. Developed with the sector for the sector, the series covers key thematic priorities that impact upon the quality of teaching and learning in HE. Our frameWORKS provide a shared point of reference and common language to shape and review policy, process and practice in order to enhance student success.
“The frameworks are evidence-based and provide the higher education sector with a national reference point to enable the institution to develop its own approach according to local circumstances as well as benchmarking performance.” Universities UK (2016), p.73,Working in partnership: enabling social mobility.
A guide to the Framework
While the Embedding Employability framework provides a strategic and practical process for reflecting on and addressing current employability provision, the guide complements it and adds currency by including; the necessary context within the thematic area of employability, information to facilitate discussions and reflections on employability provision, reflective questions to inform learning and teaching with regard to employability and a focus on horizon scanning and the future facing perspective.
Employability: breaking the mould
A case study compendium
This collection of employability case studies brings together examples including virtual placements, the creation of placement opportunities actually within university settings themselves; and the empowering of students to map and plot their employability journeys or and work-related learning experiences, and cross-fertilising the learning from employability initiatives between international and home domiciled cohorts.
The publication is available to Advance HE Members only.
How Advance HE can support your institution?
Advance HE, through it's four step process: conceptualising; planning and preparation; implementation, delivery and monitoring, and; completion and closure; can help you to:
- Enhancing Graduate Employability: a case study compendium - 2020
- Employability: A review of the literature 2012 to 2016
- Employability skills through Project Based Learning
- Towards a competency framework for student work-based learning
- Review of good practice in employability and enterprise development
- HEA Employability Summit Report
- Professional capabilities in non-vocational subject disciplines
- Dance map - the employability journey
- Developing an employability skills portal
- HEA Student Employability Consultant project
Guidance and teaching resources
- Embedding employability in HE tools
- Academic Advising for Employability Toolkit
- Creative Attributes Framework
- Enhancing employability through enterprise education
- Pedagogy for employability
- Student Employability Profiles
- Psychology Student Employability Guide
- Measuring the impact of Pedagogy for Employability on employability policy and practice in higher education institutes