The purpose of this briefing is to provide a summary of the alignment between the Athena Swan Ireland charter framework and the findings, recommendations and key indictors outlined in the Second Higher Education Authority National Review of Gender Equality in Irish Higher Education.
Advance HE welcomes the second review, published in November 2022. It highlights the positive progress that has been made in addressing gender inequality across the higher education sector since the first review in 2016, but also provides recommendations and indicators designed to build further progress.
In response to the development and progress of gender equality work across the sector, the Athena Swan Ireland charter framework was re-developed in November 2021 following national consultation. The objectives of the updated charter framework are to:
- drive impactful and sustainable gender equality work;
- build capacity for evidence-based equality work across additional equality grounds enshrined in Irish legislation, enabling a foundation for intersectional approaches to addressing inequalities;
- hold institutions to account;
- fully include all staff working in our institutions;
- reduce the administrative burden of the charter while ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion work is valued;
- further align the charter to National and European equality activity and requirements.
The updated Athena Swan Ireland charter directly aligns with many of the recommendations and indicators outlined in the report.
Download the report below.