Equality impact assessments in higher education.
In the current economic situation, restructuring and other organisational changes are leading to voluntary or compulsory redundancies in the higher education sector.
In this environment it has become even more important to carry out equality impact assessments to help higher education institutions ensure that these changes comply with anti-discrimination legislation.
Produced in response to requests from the sector for further information, this briefing provides institutions with a practical starting point for carrying out equality impact assessments in relation to their restructuring or redundancy procedures.
It will help institutions identify when impact assessments are required, who needs to be included in the process and how, as well as the steps to take if negative impacts are identified.
The briefing will be useful for staff working in senior management roles, strategy teams, human resources departments and equality and diversity teams.
Topics covered by the briefing include:
- What an equality impact assessment is
- Why they are necessary
- The scope of an equality impact assessment
- Equality impact assessments and restructuring processes
- Equality impact assessments and redundancy procedures
- Involvement and consultation of staff and other groups
- Positive and negative impacts
- Reporting the findings
- Frequently asked questions