While these areas may at first seem daunting because of the use of jargon, Demystifying Finance has been developed to simply explain many aspects of finance in HE. This informal and practical one-day workshop uses your own institution’s financial statements to help build understanding of key financial concepts including interpreting financial statements, funding, budgeting costing and pricing.
The workshop consists of four sessions:
- Session 1: University funding and understanding your accounts
- Session 2: Financial Sustainability – what is it and how can it be measured?
- Session 3: Budgeting, costing and pricing – the what, why and how.
- Session 4: Financial controls and audit – keeping you on the straight and narrow.
"Demystifying Finance gave me a great overview of all aspects of HE finance and budgeting; useful help with the finance jargon and great hands-on exercises”
- Katrina Mills, Departmental Manager for School of Languages and Area Studies, University of Portsmouth
Lack of business and particularly financial acumen is well documented as being a contributing factor to limiting leadership success. Demystifying Finance cuts through the jargon to help you make sense of your institution’s financial statements and provide you with an understanding of basic accounting concepts and principles. The workshop provides an informal environment to ask questions on any aspect of finance in HE and enables an appreciation of the importance of internal controls and financial regulations.
Who is delivering?
Essentials of Budgeting Online Course
The Essentials of Budgeting is a free online e-learning course for Advance HE members. The course consists of six modules, and should take four or five hours to complete. Click the below button to see if you can benefit from this course.